Wednesday, January 14, 2009

My debit card embarrassed me.

I decided to treat myself to a salad from one of my favorite restaurants for lunch. As I approached the cashier I pulled my card out and a mental picture of my checking balance flashed in my mind, as it always does when I pull out my debit card. I was good for a $6 lunch. The gentlemen at the register took my card and ran it through "the machine". "I'll need another card" he stated. I guess my face showed my stunned disbelief because he quickly followed with, "Would you like me to run it again." Only if you want me to pay for this lunch, I thought, it's the only "card" I have and like many in this day and age I don't carry much cash with me. After this second try he quickly printed, what I thought was a receipt, and gave it to me. DECLINED in bold black letters. In my confusion I started pulling everything out of my purse, looking for cash that I knew was not there. With this the gentlemen assured me that it was fine and that I could just pay the next time I was in. As I gathered my things and in total embarrassment my mind started racing. What had I done? Why didn't I have $6 in my account? I just balanced my checkbook and checked my balance on line. On the drive home I decided it was not my error. What had my bank done?!? By the time I got home I was furious. Before calling, I checked my balance on line again. I was right!! Not even close, more than enough to cover lunch! Damn bank.

"Yes, I'll be happy to help you with your problem." The voice on the other end stated.

My problem?!? Not MY problem, YOUR problem, I thought.

"Your account number please."

"Let's see, I show that your card was declined just a few minutes ago.......mmmm.......and yes your balance is enough to cover the amount............mmmmmmm.......can you please give me the number on your debit card?"

By this time I'm sure my anger is apparent in my tone. I don't have time to deal with this stuff. It's your problem, just fix it!! And while you're at it call the gentlemen at my favorite restaurant and tell him it was your fault!! All these thoughts are racing through my head when I hear,

"I'm sorry but, according to our records that is a new card and it has not been activated yet."

Activated? Activated? Ohhhhhh, you mean I was really supposed to activate the new debit card that I received in the mail last week? You mean activate it, like the letter that accompanied it stated? You mean I should have followed the directions that came with the new card?

"Okay, I'll do that right now. Thank you for your help." As I hung up, I'm not sure, but I may have heard the nice lady on the other end say something about, "Damn customers!"

I have to go now. I need to take the gentlemen at my favorite restaurant $6. If you're ever in Carrollton, GA try eating at "The Grillage" on Maple St. Great food and really nice people. I also have a lead on a really good bank.

Publish Post

4 comments:

  1. knowing your temper I find this VERY funny! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was hilarious. . .and very well written if I must say so myself!!!

    We love you!!
    Meghan and Faith Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so funny Momma! You tell it very well. :)

    ReplyDelete